Custom ("user") session handler using database (ie MySQL) instead of "files"
|Reported by:||vipsoft||Owned by:||vipsoft|
|Priority:||normal||Milestone:||1.5 - Piwik 1.5|
Description (last modified by vipsoft)
For Installation, we would store session information in a signed cookie, and delete the cookie when the installation is complete.
- reduce number of inodes, eliminating tmp/sessions
- move the session handling logic out of ./index.php (to FrontController init?)
- potentially simplifies the session handling logic
- no longer second guessing security of user's configuration
- works with load balanced web servers that don't share session files
- works when user doesn't have write access to shared session folder (technically, considered to be an improperly configured web server)
- cookies subject to 4K limit (only applies to installer and custom dashboard layout for anonymous)
- slower (especially with garbage collection)
would have to rework LanguagesManager/API.php's use of Zend_Session_Namespace in getLanguageForSession() and setLanguageForSession()
Note: Piwik still requires write access to ./tmp (i.e., templates_c, cache/tracker, latest).
While you're at it, add a systemCheck for the 'session' extension, in case php was compiled with --disable-session.
And look into handling disabled ini_set() -- used by Zend_Session.
Oh, and make sure we handle the case where session.use_cookies = 0 (ref: http://forum.piwik.org/index.php?showtopic=11381)
Change History (39)
comment:1 Changed 4 years ago by vipsoft (robocoder)
- Description modified (diff)
- Summary changed from Custom ("user") session handler using MySQL instead of "files" to Custom ("user") session handler using database (ie MySQL) instead of "files"
comment:13 Changed 3 years ago by vipsoft (robocoder)
- Milestone changed from Features requests - after Piwik 1.0 to 5 - Piwik 1.1
- Priority changed from normal to major
comment:15 Changed 3 years ago by vipsoft (robocoder)
- Milestone changed from 1.1 - Piwik 1.1 to 1.2 - Piwik 1.2
comment:21 Changed 3 years ago by matt (mattab)
- Milestone changed from 1.2 Piwik 1.2 to Feature requests
comment:28 Changed 3 years ago by vipsoft (robocoder)
- Milestone changed from Feature requests to 1.5 - Piwik 1.5
comment:29 Changed 3 years ago by vipsoft (robocoder)
- Resolution set to fixed
- Status changed from new to closed
comment:30 Changed 3 years ago by vipsoft (robocoder)
- Resolution fixed deleted
- Status changed from closed to reopened