QA: Add benchmarking system to test speed of different parts of Piwik in different situations
|Reported by:||capedfuzz||Owned by:|
|Priority:||normal||Milestone:||1.x - Piwik 1.x|
When optimizing or doing major re-factoring it's necessary to run performance tests to make sure new changes are as fast or faster than the unchanged code. There should be a system in place to allow this sort of testing.
Some ideas on how benchmarking should be done:
- Should reuse as much of testing infrastructure as possible.
- Since most benchmarks will require a large amount of data and thus will take a long time to run, the benchmarks should not be run with the tests.
- If possible, the benchmarks should communicate with the browser when the test data has finished being added. (I think this would have to be done via forking & IPC.)
- Allow the amount of sites/visits/goals/etc. to be configurable (via the browser) for each benchmark.
- If possible, find some way to quickly load test data.
- Integrate some or all benchmarks w/ Jenkins. They shouldn't be run w/ the other tests, but it should be possible to run them through Jenkins and get some performance analytics.
Change History (38)
comment:26 Changed 18 months ago by capedfuzz (diosmosis)
- Resolution set to fixed
- Status changed from new to closed