Accurate User Detection cross devices: User ID (set in JS and all other clients)
|Reported by:||matt||Owned by:|
|Priority:||critical||Milestone:||2.x - The Great Piwik 2.x Backlog|
Description (last modified by matt)
Goal: allow tracking of unique visitors across device, via the use of a User ID.
This ticket is about
- rename the parameter &cid= to &uid= to be consistent with Google Analytics standard (Keep BC cid->uid).
Typically, the user ID can be a hash of the user email (if user is logged in), or the hash of the user username.
- We should provide a hash function in piwik.js as well, to generate the 16char hex string
- left-pad the input string if needed
- This feature could be enabled by default, but possible to disable. A new config option:
- QA: Test that, setting a new User ID will not create a new visit.
Docs & FAQ:
- Add a FAQ for this feature "How do I specify the User ID (unique ID across devices) to increase accuracy of Unique Visitors reporting?"
- And the reference at: http://piwik.org/docs/tracking-api/reference/
- Also integrate other related FAQs somewhere that makes sense eg. http://piwik.org/faq/how-to/faq_190/ http://piwik.org/faq/how-to/faq_175/ and related.
Change History (21)
comment:2 Changed 11 months ago by matt (mattab)
- Milestone changed from 1.12 - The Great 1.x Backlog to 2.x - Piwik 2.x
comment:3 Changed 10 months ago by matt (mattab)
- Cc tsteur added
- Description modified (diff)
- Milestone changed from 2.x - Piwik 2.x to 2.0 - Piwik 2.0
- Priority changed from normal to major
comment:8 Changed 6 months ago by matt (mattab)
- Milestone changed from 2.0 - Piwik 2.0 to 2.1 - Piwik 2.1
comment:13 Changed 3 months ago by matt (mattab)
- Milestone changed from 2.1 - Piwik 2.1 to 2.0.4 - Piwik 2.0.4
comment:15 Changed 2 months ago by matt (mattab)
- Milestone changed from 2.1 - Piwik 2.1 to 2.2 - Piwik 2.2
comment:17 Changed 6 weeks ago by matt (mattab)
- Milestone changed from 2.2 - Piwik 2.2 to 2.1.1 - Piwik 2.1.1
comment:19 Changed 3 weeks ago by matt (mattab)
- Milestone changed from 2.2.1 - Piwik 2.2.1 to 2.x - The Great Piwik 2.x Backlog