Plugin using GeoIP to accurately detect visitor countries, cities, and continent
|Reported by:||matt||Owned by:|
Description (last modified by matt)
- When installed, the plugin will detect more accurately the country of your visitors using the MaxMind database.
- The existing reports for country and continent will be replaced by the more accurate GeoIp report in your Piwik interface.
- Piwik will also detect the city of your visitors. You can see all cities by clicking on the country row in the table.
- You can apply the GeoIp data to all your previous visits and re-generate your reports, see below.
You need at least Piwik 0.2.33 to run the GeoIp plugin.
How to install?
- Download Piwik GeoIp Plugin
- Unzip the plugin and copy the extracted directory "GeoIp" in the directory piwik/plugins/
- Configure the MaxMind database:
- Either download MaxMind GeoLite City or GeoIP City database from http://geolite.maxmind.com/download/geoip/database/GeoLiteCity.dat.gz Uncompress this file and copy it in plugins/GeoIP/libs/GeoLiteCity.dat
- For more performance, it is recommanded to install the module apache mod_geoip. Configure your Apache according to: http://www.maxmind.com/app/mod_geoip
- Enable GeoIP plugin in Piwik. Go to Piwik > Settings > Plugins > Geoip, click Enable
How to apply the GeoIp to all your previous visits to fix your previous reports
You can apply GeoIP precise localization on your past data:
- run geoipUpdateRows.php script, from command line (or from the browser, but risk of timing out if your database is large)
- wait a few minutes until all your visitors data from the piwik_log_visit table have been processed.
- you now need to force Piwik to re-process all the past reports: drop all piwik_archive_* tables in your Piwik database. Piwik will automatically create them and re-process the reports.
- You should see Visitors countries and cities in your Visitors>Location report.
- Mikael Letang
- Maciej Zawadziński
- Matthieu Aubry
- Anthon Pang
- version 0.7: cleaned up code, compatible with Piwik 0.2.33, improved documentation
- version 0.8: fixed bug in geoIpUpdateRows.php (thanks looztra)
- version 0.9: all fields now NULLable to make sure that insert still work fine after plugin is disabled
- version 0.10: compatibility with 0.2.35 after API change in the AddWidget function
- version 0.11: fixing bug with country detection
- version 0.12: updated for auto loader
- version 0.13: Compatible with Piwik 0.6
- version 0.14:
- Fixed geoipUpdateRows script which was failing with errors. It also now checks that logged in user is Super User, and that the GeoIP plugin is enabled.
- Fixed memory leak when using visitor generator.
- Fixed .htaccess was blocking users from executing the script with the browser.
- Added .htaccess to allow to execute the script directly from the browser.
- Fixed Sparkline distinct countries
- version 0.15:
- Updated for Piwik 1.3 (refactoring for upgrade.php)
- No match for country now set to 'xx' (unknown)
- version 0.16:
- fix bootstrap in geoipUpdateRows.php and clean-up package
- geoipUpdateRows.php - MYSQLI compatibility
- default to disk-based search; load into memory if multiple tracking requests
- version 0.17:
- fixes from peterb & mruge
- version 0.18: compatible with Piwik 1.6
Please leave a comment if you have any feedback, suggestion, or bug report.
Change History (273)
comment:1 Changed 5 years ago by matt (mattab)
- Cc Eli-D mikael craig anthony grigri.74 a2b zeta qnox vipsoft konus piwika Maui greenman frag-titus alracer neroZ ilexius tec DaSilva jeb1217 mike5464 EgonO added
- Milestone set to Third Party Piwik Plugins
comment:50 Changed 5 years ago by matt (mattab)
- Summary changed from Plugin for a precise geo localization to Plugin using GeoIP to accurately detect visitor countries, cities, and continent
comment:83 Changed 4 years ago by vipsoft (robocoder)
- Priority changed from major to normal
- Type changed from Bug to New feature
Changed 3 years ago by manuelstofer
comment:246 Changed 21 months ago by vipsoft (robocoder)
- Cc Eli-D mikael craig anthony grigri.74 a2b zeta qnox vipsoft konus piwika Maui frag-titus alracer neroZ ilexius tec DaSilva jeb1217 mike5464 EgonO removed
Changed 20 months ago by dbmz
comment:279 Changed 18 months ago by rajkisho
comment:281 Changed 17 months ago by matt (mattab)
- Resolution set to worksforme
- Status changed from new to closed