Allow to track "Mobile App", "Intranet Website" and more, to complement notion of "Website"
|Reported by:||matt||Owned by:|
|Priority:||major||Milestone:||2.2 - Piwik 2.2|
Description (last modified by matt)
Piwik could be used a drop-in analytics platform tracking many different properties, providing all analytics you need out of the box.
Piwik is already used as open analytics platform for web analytics by more than 1 million websites. Learn more: What is Piwik?. You can already track with Piwik websites, intranet, mobile apps, and more. This ticket is about improving this functionality and exposing it to provide a better user experience and more useful analytics reports.
By default Piwik tracks actions by users, on websites. However websites is just one type of possible medium to analyze. For example there are also:
- Mobile app
- Intranet websites
- Retail shops
- APIs analytics
- and/or anything else that has users and activity and where there is value for analytics
More details about each property types we'd like to support:
- Analytics for Intranet Websites:
- Analytics for Mobile Apps
- Analytics for API
- So many are building APIs and need useful generic metrics for API usage. See #4178
Notes about implementation:
- Make it possible for plugins to define a new Property Type
- Each property could have an icon attached, and we could show the icon on the "All Websites" report, and possibly other places later (Piwik Mobile, Email reports, etc.)
- In All Websites, add a new checkbox to let us see Websites/Apps/etc. grouped by their Type. By default, we do not group by Type. See #2174
- Follows up #4326
Please comment with any related thoughts about tracking more properties in Piwik and provide a great user experience.