Database upgrades may take too long to run in web browser
|Reported by:||frabcus||Owned by:||vipsoft|
Description (last modified by vipsoft)
When upgrading to a new version, the database upgrades take too long to run in the web browser. Mine timed out, and left me with a half upgraded database which I had to manually fix by reading the upgrade files.
I would like one or all of:
- An option to run the database upgrades at the command line.
- Progress to show which database migration is currently being run (in the web browser and/or on the command line)
- It to do each upgrade separately, and record it is done in the database. So if things go wrong, it is easier to carry on from where you left off. Only one migration would need fixing.
Example command from Updates/0.2.27.php:
ALTER TABLE piwik_log_visit ADD visit_goal_converted VARCHAR( 1 ) NOT NULL AFTER visit_total
So far that has taken 3 minutes, I suspect it will take about 6. I had a whole bunch of upgrades to run, which in total will take a couple of hours I suspect. Not a realistic thing to do in one web request.
I've marked this critical, as it caused my piwik installation to be totally broke during a routine upgrade.
Change History (14)
comment:2 Changed 5 years ago by vipsoft (robocoder)
- Summary changed from Database upgrades too slow to run in web browser to Database upgrades may take too long to run in web browser
comment:6 Changed 5 years ago by vipsoft (robocoder)
- Owner set to vipsoft
- Status changed from new to assigned
comment:7 Changed 5 years ago by vipsoft (robocoder)
- Milestone changed from 2- DigitalVibes to 1 - Piwik 0.4.2
comment:12 Changed 5 years ago by vipsoft (robocoder)
- Resolution set to fixed
- Sensitive unset
- Status changed from assigned to closed